Saturday, March 15, 2014

Holiday Cooking: Let The Challenge Begin

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Well, sigh. When your husband is Irish, and you're like me and love to cook elaborate holiday meals, upcoming St. Patrick's Day in two days means you're going to be logging some time in the kitchen. It's corned beef and braised cabbage time, Colcannon soup, and of course Irish soda bread.

My husband really isn't forcing me to cook. Folks, I want to cook. I get such pleasure from it. Just because I'm Optifasting doesn't mean I have to abandon what I love. I just can't eat it -- and that takes some will power. Or does it?

Actually, I'm settling into my "Live in the Now" mode. And what this means is I work hard to stay grounded in what I am feeling right now, in my day. I have completed my first week of Optifasting and lost 4 lbs. And I am so, so proud of myself and I don't want to do anything that might set me back. I'm in ketosis so I'm not hungry. It's sunny outside (but cool) and I am going to walk to the grocery store with two bags I can fill with groceries and carry back home in each hand -- like weights. To give you some perspective, the corned beef cut alone is 4 lbs. Heck, who needs a gym? (wink, wink!)

I'm also checking our Facebook Optifast Support board regularly and of course blogging here. I posted that I would be challenged by the cooking and my "electronic" friends are giving support. I really, really appreciate that. It reinforces that I don't have to be alone here in Columbus, struggling through potential cravings by myself.

It's Saturday so I need to do laundry and other household tasks. That should keep my hands busy while things simmer in the crock pot and bake in the oven. (Now, as for the smells that will start to waft out from the kitchen...I'm not looking forward to that!)

But right now, I'm strong and doing AOK. And I'm really happy about that. On with my second weekend Optifasting. And it's early but Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment