Saturday, March 8, 2014

(Wannabe) Weekend Warrior

Athena: Goddess of War and Wisdom
So here we are beginning Day Four. Saturday. And it appears I have forgotten how challenging these initial weekends can possibly be when you are Optifasting. I sleep in late on the weekends, so I awoke dizzy, fatigued and very, very hungry. I had not anticipated this and initially got worried.

I dragged myself downstairs around 10:00 a.m. and immediately made my first shake for the day. Down the hatch, and then I started drinking lots of water. Soon I felt so much better and started the coffee brewing. I turned on the computer and checked in with the folks on the Facebook "Optifast Support" page. I have a feeling I'll be posting there quite a bit this weekend!

The plan today, as I was reminded by a dear Optifast friend, is to keep myself busy and if possible, out of the house (and away from the kitchen). So with the temperature today to be in the mid-50s, I am going outside to attack the garden beds and clear dead things out, in preparation for gardening season. I am also going to (force) myself to walk to the coffee shop (I normally drive there) for my afternoon iced coffee ritual. May take Legs the Basset, may not. Heck, he's put on some winter weight too!

My husband and I are going to a 6:30 p.m. movie tonight, so that will get me through the evening "danger zone" where I like to graze on various no-nos. I'm still going to bed as early as I can, so the plan is to take a bath when we get home and crawl into bed with a good, but quasi-boring book. That will knock me out in no time!

What I'm finding right now is the tummy grumbling appears to be subsiding -- the hunger part. I'm thrilled about that. What I'm on edge about though, is the dastardly cravings that can swoop in at any moment. When I Optifasted the first time around, I was actually quite fortunate to only be plagued by severe cravings only a handful of times, over a nine month period. I was taught early on that there is a big difference between hunger and cravings. Your hunger goes away when you are on product. If you want to interrupt your program and eat something "bad" it's not because you're hungry. It's because you want it, you crave it. And cravings can be managed successfully. More about that later.

So this weekend I'm also on the lookout for cravings, and thinking about why I have embarked on this second go-around with Optifast. To shed this winter weight? Of course. To be able to again fit in my smaller-sized clothes? Yes. To be healthy? Always a key for me. And the biggie for me (and those who already know about my sometimes excessive frugality will laugh)? Folks, I spent a hell of a lot of money on Optifast the first time around, and damn it, I've got to protect this investment (winkedy, wink)!

Yes dear readers, I have my boxes of products prominently displayed right now in a corner in the kitchen. I am keeping them there all weekend. Just one look and I am reminded about the financial cost of this program, that yes, it is an investment in "me," but a monetary one as well. Boy, does this work to keep me compliant! My husband asked when I will be storing everything so it is out of the way -- I told him it will be organized at some point. But don't count on this weekend!

Well, it's now after 1:00 p.m. and me thinks I better get started on my tasks. Forward I go. Bring on the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment